Technical Debt: A Guide for Frustrated Software Architects and CIOs
As of 2022, application modernization has become a top priority for CIOs in the enterprise. Yet, according to a recent survey of 250 senior IT professionals, the majority of Application Modernization initiatives end in failure, at an average cost of $1.5 million and 16 months of work hours.
Enterprises engage in application modernization projects to achieve two main goals–“application innovation” and “greater engineering velocity”–however, technical debt represents a major impediment to engineering velocity, which is crucial for innovating applications. So how do we break this cycle?
This guide for software architects and CIOs covers:
- How technical debt restrains application modernization initiatives
- How the hidden costs of technical debt are manifested
- How technical debt affects enterprise applications, business goals and engineering staff
- How vFunction combined award-winning academic research with machine learning (ML) to create a method to measure technical debt
- How enterprises can accurately calculate technical debt and build a business case for eliminating it from applications