This week at AWS re:Invent 2021 in Las Vegas, vFunction has rolled out an integration with AWS Migration Hub Refactor Spaces to accelerate the modernization and migration of Java Monolithic Applications to AWS. The combination of the two technologies simplifies the rearchitecting, re-engineering, staging, and deployment of monolithic Java applications onto AWS
Two of the biggest challenges application modernization and migration teams face today are:
- How to efficiently decompose monolithic apps into microservices
- How to safely stage, migrate, and deploy those microservice applications onto AWS environments
The vFunction platform and AWS Migration Hub work together to solve these 2 problems. The vFunction platform first analyzes monolithic apps and allows architects to automate and accelerate the re-architecting and rewriting of their legacy Java applications into microservices. AWS Migration Hub Refactor Spaces the enables the application modernization teams to set up and manage the infrastructure to test, stage, deploy, and manage the legacy applications which are being refactored, rewritten, or re-architected.
Newly announced this week, the AWS Migration Hub Refactor Spaces simplifies application modernization by:
- Reducing the time to setup a refactoring environment on AWS
- Reducing the complexity for iteratively extracting capabilities as new microservices and re-routing traffic from old to new (Strangler Fig Pattern)
- Simplifying management of existing and migrating apps and microservices with flexible routing control, isolation, and centralized management
- Helping development teams achieve and accelerate technical and deployment independence by simplifying development, management, and ops while applications are changing
Example: Migrating an Order Management System (OMS) Monolith to AWS Microservices:
The video below walks you through the decomposition and migration of a Spring MVC application for order processing management.
The app runs on Tomcat on an AWS EC2 Instance (US-East-1) – you can find more information here. Check out this OMS Tutorial for more info.
In the demo, 3 services are extracted from the order management app with vFunction.
These services are auto-deployed to AWS EKS and AWS ECR also leveraging Nginx with global FQDN.
The supporting configuration is described below: